Well, I'm definitely not going to discourse upon Weird Al's parody on Zut Suit Riot, but the song does seem to come in mind when discussing the benefits of grapefruit in one's diet. : )
We are nearing the end of grapefruit season, so get some while you can! Grapefruit really do have some wonderful assets to promote wellness... not to mention flavor!
Why eat Grapefruit?
- Great source of Vitamin C
- Has an enzyme which burns body fat (hence, "Grapefruit diet")
- Rich in antioxidant lycopene
- Anti-cancer fruit
- Alkalizes the body (disease cannot thrive in an alkaline environment)
- Great liver detoxer
- Adds a wonderful fresh flavor in the winter, when we crave anything that tastes like sunshine. : )
- Cut in half, and eat with a spoon for breakfast
- Peel like an orange to retain the most of its white pith, which is teeming with benefits in its bioflavonoids (also called Rutin or Vitamin P), which help you to absorb the Vitamin C, strengthen blood vessels, and provide general anti-inflammatory activity.
- A glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit juice in a salad dressing (mix with olive oil, salt, and honey)
- Grapefruit sections on a salad
- Make a citrus salad, mixing grapefruit with orange and pomelo sections, and tossing with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and some mint chiffonnade.
- Use organic grapefruit to make a honey-candied citrus peel, and coat in ginger powder or fine coconut powder (instead of sugar) to keep it from sticking.